About

This LOF Website is 10 years old, most of the history of the company is available on this site, sometimes however a new piece of history emerges, which I am very grateful to those who try and keep history and facts together.

Two very successful Reunions in Leicester saw many old shipmates and friends re-united.

This LOF-News Website with memories, friends, shipmates, photographs, trivia, parties, latest news and much more. From the very humble beginnings of this project in February 2004, a major archive of LOF history, its origins at Counties Ship Management. Charting the highs and lows of one of the major relatively independent UK shipping companies, from the 1950’s through to the sale/amalgamation in 1997 excellent progress is being maintained. The full history is available on this website.

We have now surpassed well over 200,000 ‘visitors’ and this is a motivation for me to continue to try and keep the LOF Flag flying.

There are a great number of other Ex UK Shipping Company Websites, and some tribute is required as at times we exchange information.

A number of our own group are in the process or have completed their own seagoing histories and I look forward to promoting these in the future.

LOF – London & Overseas Freighters, along with its associated companies was primarily based at Balfour Place near Park Lane London UK for most of the era, although some of the vessels were registered outside of the UK and a few flew foreign flags, but the majority flew the Red Ensign.

The LOF name was synonymous for high calibre, hard working Officers, Crew and Office Support Staff, the company was very highly ranked within the chartering and insurance trades. During its zenith, LOF owned, managed and manned some 30+ vessels and employed nearly 800 mainly British/UK Officers. For most of these Officers – even those who only passed through briefly, have in general some very good memories of their LOF days. I am regularly contacted by ex LOF staff who to this day speak with affection of their time in the company.

The Officers, the Staff & Crew thought very highly of the Company and its Management, and this ‘Family’ Management can be partly attributed to Mr. E. A. Mackenzie (Mac) Fleet Superintendent/Director, Mr. Noris Jackson and his successors. Their legacy remains to this day, with a number of very successful Ex-LOF Personnel in senior positions throughout the shipping and shore based industry.

This website relies on your support, both financially and for news/feedback and information.

I thank the sponsors who maintain this website.

I am Roy Gerstner. Contact me at [email protected]

Colwyn Bay Radio College 1968 -1970 Marconi Marine (Red Cross) 1970 – 1972
Riversdale Tech College 1970 LOF 1972 – 1985
Riversdale Tech College 1974 Stephenson Clarks 1986
Byrom Street Polyech 1976 Furness Withy 1986 – 1988
Liverpool University 1988 Sky TV & Granada TV 1989 – 1992
Warwick University 1999 LOF 1992 -1997
Warwick University 2007 DTI (UK) (1997 – 2001)
DCL (Disney Cruise Line) 2001 – 2007
2007 – Present – Semi Retired?
Technical Engineer Radio/Electronics/Audio & Automation.
Independent Town Councillor – Whittlesea St. Marys
Chairman Neighbourhood Watch Scheme
Chairman StreetPride – A Fenland Environmental Initiative
Trustee Board Member Citizen Advice Bureau

This website is sponsored by voluntary donations.

The Website provider is Strato (Germany)

loflon 22143 (Main Tlx) loflon 265894 (Secondary Tlx)
lofman 8956613 (Chartering Tlx) telegrams loftanks london W1
t: GROsvenor 4941
t: 01 499 4941 (Balfour Place) t: 0207 583 5888 (Fetter Lane)

All articles on this Website are made in good faith and integrity. They do not represent any official view of the present owners of the company name London & Overseas Freighters. All acknowledgements are given to contributors of said articles.
If any reader can correct any mistake or add details please feel free to contact me via the LOF Website. The article is subject to copyright and permission should be obtained before any part is used, copied, or transmitted in any format.

Roy Gerstner © January 2015